Thursday, May 19, 2011

443 - Corrections and Calculations



The thing about building a model in LEGO is that you are somewhat constricted to working with the LEGO scale.

While there are certainly tricks to achieve fractions and to fill spaces smaller than a standard LEGO brick or plate, these tricks often have trade offs, like using 3 pieces where you might want to just use 1, thus forcing you to increase the depth in order to adjust the width, or using other tricks to hide an unsightly portion of your build.



I've recently had to add 8 more studs into my planned foundation in order to accommodate for the furnishings.





The extra space was something I was trying to avoid, if only for not stretching out the budget. Outside of that though, I was trying to make some compromises in terms of accuracy in order to get the chance to use certain building techniques.



One thing I'm still not sure about is the glass wall that is shared by the kitchen and also the front entranceway. The angle is right, but the design I feel could still be improved. The problem is I am limited by space. The wall itself can only be so long, so thick and so wide. I'd like to get more glass bricks in there, but I don't want to lose track of the original design in doing so. The scribbles in the first picture are part of my attempt to do just that.



Throughout the process, I keep referring back to the pictures my other so kindly took for me as reference points. I find that I need these visual references while building. Even for The Dark Tower, I try to look up imagery of castles and towers. I've found that my LEGO creativity is more suited to problem-solving than it is to genuine inspiration.

The build continues and I am pleased with the look, if not the progress (how I envy those with the time and/or the speed of thought for large builds). Nonetheless, I should start receiving more pieces in the mail over the next few days which will really flesh out the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment