One challenge that I face as a LEGO enthusiast is dealing with building, storage and display space.
Since I am still relatively new to the hobby (just under 4 months), I don't really have an optimal setup for building, storing or displaying LEGO. I make do currently with my dining room table as my build space, with the pieces in plastic carts and containers that stay in a closet until I bring them out to the dining room when I start building. As for display, The Dark Tower sits on top of a living room bookshelf... and that's about all the display space I have short of random shelf space for small items.
So I knew before starting 443 that I had to make it easy to move and store in small segments, even if the combined work would be much bigger. I opted to go with 16 x 32 segments that could be connected via Technic pins.
Building this house in segments did present a unique building experience. I had to plan the build based on the fact that the modules could be separated, so it became important to ensure that there were no elements that would cross over into another module in a way that would cause for an awkward build.
An unexpected (for me anyway) plus to this though was that it allowed for much easier access to various parts of the house that would otherwise be hard to photograph or play with. I am finding that I can (and will eventually) put in a lot more detail into the house because the details can be appreciated, module by module.
The build itself is coming along well. I like the colors that I will get a chance to use; sand red, dark tan and even pink will be featured as soon as the parts arrive; and that's just the first floor!
I very much want to experiment with mixing in dark orange alongside the dark red for a more unique brick effect, but my budget may not allow that. As it is, I will have to wait until next month before being able to get the white tiles needed to finish the floor of the first level.
In any case, the build continues, slowly, but surely. I may take a break from this soon to switch gears back to The Dark Tower while I wait for my latest piece orders to arrive, but my heart is here, in this home, and I hope to preserve memories of my childhood in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment