Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Dark Tower - Ka is a Circle



WARNING: This post may contain spoilers from Stephen King's The Dark Tower (series of books).

As previously mentioned, I would consider myself now halfway "done" with the Dark Tower, at least in terms of the actual build (never mind conceptualizing, experimenting and correcting).



For the 2nd half of the Dark Tower, I am wanting to switch up the texturing as well as the general shape to make for stronger visual impact. If I were to continue the same octagonal pattern with spiral windows and bricking, I would fear that the end result would look rather bland, especially considering that I would for obvious reasons need to continue using black as the primary (if not exclusive) color in my palette.



I have a few ideas I'm experimenting with, from doing multiple unique tower spires, to using a hexagon shape, or even simply using an increasingly smaller octagon to give the illusion of greater height. One of my current experiments is with a circular building technique seen above and in the first picture of this post. Using round bricks in between regular block bricks allows some "give" in your construction allowing you to "bend" the bricks. In this case, it has allowed me to create something akin to a circle. I'm not anywhere close to sure that this is a technique I will employ here, but it is certainly something worth messing around with, especially considering the quote used to title this post (which readers of the Dark Tower series would recognize and understand).



Forgive me for the quality of the pictures; after the amount of time I spent on Temple Assault, I just wanted to take some quick shots if only for myself to capture my progress and have visual references for future changes. I actually had more to show in terms of how the first half of the build turned out, but the images were out of focus. Another update for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment